Thursday, January 29, 2015

Homemade Fingerpaint


With five kids at home, paint is something that doesn't really get purchased around here alot.  It has to be bought by the gallons, which can be a bit pricey and it goes fast.  A few jars can be gone in one project when everyone is working together.   Also, I really am not a fan of cleaning store bought paint out of everything in the house when they are finished with it.  It can be tough to remove at times. So, I gave some homemade finger paint a whirl after finding this on Pinterest.


My kids had a blast with this, especially, my youngest.  It was super easy to make up and dried  on the paper just like regular paint does.  Mine was a bit thick, but, it could've been simply because it was cooked too long.   Also, I didn't add any sugar or salt to it.  Strictly, because, I forgot the salt and if you can believe it..I was nearly out of sugar!  Very weird.  Anyway, ours was all used up after one sitting, but, store your leftovers in covered container in the fridge to keep the paint from getting moldy.
We will definitely give it a try again!

To Make:   
( I doubled the recipe below and was able to get 6 ramekins full of paint)
(Adapted from Easie Peasie)
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 2 cups water
  • food coloring
In a saucepan, mix water and corn starch until it's slightly warm, stir frequently, let mixture get thick.  Turn off heat and let it cool.   Pour into containers, add food coloring and mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment